Monday, February 12, 2007

whirlwind....life...love....pursuit of happyness....

What's up people? It's been a minute as always and those close know that I've been caught up with new beginnings and tying up loose ends ie. requirements to graduation. Pray for me to get this all done because only God will get me through all I gotta do before May when I rock the cap and gown.

In all this hecticism (new word, I'm coining it now) I still, as always have time to think. I was able to catch Lupe a week ago and one word.....amazing. One of the best shows I've been to, if you don't know of the work, check it please. One of the songs that struck a cord with the audience and with me was He Say, She Say. The premise is a mother talking to her baby's father and asking why the lack of presence in the son's life and the second verse is the son talking to the father. I know I've written about this before in regards to fathers and daughters, but this focuses more on the father/son aspect. In the words of the great Big Pun (RIP):" I don't wanna fight, I wanna do what's right, a boy needs a father, that's the most important part of his life...." truer words were never spoken. Listening to that song Monday really hit me in that I felt extremely blessed to have a father who had a major part in my life in becoming the man I am today. I have more respect for him day by day as I realize what it took for him to raise a black son in the way I was supposed to be raised in this world was not an easy task. I'm grateful that he taught me that it doesn't make you a man to have a baby, it makes you a man to raise a child. It doesn't make you a man to lay down with many women, but it makes you a man to love one for life. But it wasn't in what he's told me over the years, but what his actions have told me in holding a family together and making a point to take care of home and business. I guess as I grow old, I wax pensive, realizing the depth of life that most of us just so rarely scratch the surface. So many people are looking for what they can get out of life instead of asking what can I give that will last long after I'm gone. I guess I ask myself that more and more everyday and hope the answer will make itself known. Till next time.....Peace......