Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Oprah (even writing the title gives me shivers....promised myself I'd never do this....) here goes...

What up people? Doin' really well here, blessings coming my way left and right through people and circumstances and pray that I can be one to all of you as well. It's finals time here at Dook and tryin' to handle business and get things done and accomplished and maintain that GPA. Actually got
a little sentimental today when I checked out the pics of my undergraduate Alma mater Grand Canyon U. (Go Lopes!) and saw that good stuff is taking place as they are doin' big things. Rumor is they may be starting a med school so I'm hoping that comes to fruition one day.

Anywho, back to subject at hand, perfection is perfection so I'mma let you understand.....topic for today as you saw is about Oprah. I caught a clip of the showbiz report on CNN.com (a daily web page visit) that apparently "ain't worth" 50 Cent has beef with Oprah saying that "she used to have black women's views, but now that her viewers are middle aged, middle class white women and now she has become one of them." Apparently this stems from what he feels is her disconnect and lack of respect for "hip-hop" which to hear those words come from his mouth makes me want to present what I ate for lunch earlier in a not incredibly appealing fashion. The report then went on to say that Ludacris felt slighted after he appeared for the show on "Crash" (excellent movie btw) and she attacked him for the misogynist lyrics in hip hop and his response was edited from the show. They then went on to show Bow Wow ( why did he drop the Lil' from the name; last time I checked he's still gotta look up to see down) an extremely credible voice of hip hop who says of course he agrees that he would like to see more rap stars on Oprah. Finally, Nas, the voice of reason in this madness, said essentially it was sad that 50 made himself look like a buffoon by attacking an icon because he wanted publicity, which I agree is exactly what 50 did. Sidebar: Hopefully, 50 heard this, comes up with a wack battle song against him and Nas comes and finishes him off and shows the true clown that 50 was, is and always will be. In the great words of Jigga: y'all respect the one who got shot, I respect the shooter...... back to the trial.

First of all, why is 50 so concerned about being on Oprah? He really trying to hit the soccer mom market? Is he imagining Dodge Caravans heading to Swanky Hills Elementary bumpin' P.I.M.P.? He figuring that Judy Everymom will be bumpin' Candy Shop while baking up angel food cake for the P.T.A. bake sale? Come on, there is no need for him to be on there. My closest friends and associates know that I'm no fan of Oprah. The difference between Oprah and God is that God doesn't think He's Oprah. I've never seen a woman so narcissistic in my life. However, I can concede that her show reaches a niche and it works. What sense does it make for her to have n***as on there who all they talk about is all the things he wants to do a woman while reminding her that her value is just above a mosquito and just below a dog? Yeah, sounds like something Suzy Homemaker wants to be playing on the Bose system in the in split level colonial style on a Saturday afternoon after the family trip to the zoo. It is about publicity and ego and sense. No benefit would come to 50 being on Oprah, Lord knows Oprah would not get anything out of it, and the ladies in the audiences would be clutching their purses seeing that big buck on stage. My biggest issue with the piece was the fact that hip hop and rap were used interchangeably. That is disconcerting and annoying because they are not the same, although that's for another blog. Now my GMG moment has been expressed, hope nothing but good things happen to all of you, and congrats to all the sorors that I know that crossed. Remember the mission and live by it everyday, it's not just a social thing, it's a socially conscious thing. Love , peace and blessings...... Next up: Eulogy for hip-hop......One......