Wednesday, November 22, 2006

hip hop, fam, and life in general....it's all good...

Happy Thanksgiving folks! May you recognize the true blessings that we have around us, not only today, but everyday of your life.

As the title suggests, a lot on my mind. Many new things in my life right now and changes going on that are bring happiness to my soul and positivity to my life so I'm grateful for that. Currently, I'm writing this after spending time with fam here in MD and I just had that moment that I realized, it's such a blessing in a small thing as interacting with close and extended family. It's this link that lies between us that even if we don't see each other that often, we are connected in a way that is predetermined by God himself. It's a beautiful thing. My immediate fam is almost all moved out to Richmond and having them close has me excited. I see the possibility of one day reaching a state of wedded bliss (one of these days, everyone else is beating me to the punch, but I remain patient) and having the family close to be around when I raise my own one day. That support system is so important, to realize where you come from and where you fit into the future of a group of people destined to be related by blood and heart. I hope to keep everyone close and find someone who sees the same importance in family. Gotta love Thanksgiving for bringing this revelation.

Now that I have hopefully moistened a few eyes in the audience, I'd like to speak on my most favorite subjects: H.E.R. For those who see the FB profile status that mentions H.E.R. or S.H.E. and has yet to figure it out, it's based on I Used to Love H.E.R. by Common, but goodness I hope all who read this have heard that classic anthem of my love affair with H.E.R. If not, educate yourself as soon as possible, preferably by hitting me up so I can send you the song, your life will be changed if you are in any way, shape or form a fan or desire to be a fan of the culture. Anyway, back to H.E.R., S.H.E.'s growing with me and it's encouraging. I can see 30 at a close distance coming up on me and I need something that hits me up a little closer to home than "It's goin' down at the mall" because I don't go to the mall except to find some grown man jeans or a button up and I try to remove myself as soon as I find the item. Also, asking if "my chain hangs low, do I swing it to and fro" really doesn't apply. I can't afford a real chain and a fake one would look ridiculous.....matter a fact a real one would look ridiculous. My aim is good credit, real estate, retirement funds, and a family one day, so I need my hip hop to reflect that. I don't really desire to put rims on a car...for what, that gives me more to clean it when I wash it. I need hip hop that speaks to what I face everyday in this world, what I'm trying to get to, and what I've learned in my 28 years of life. I have felt like this "grown man" hip hop has been nailed on the newly released "Kingdom Come" album, by the incomparable Jay-Z. I'm glad to see him hangin' out with the Roots has influenced his rhymes during the "retirement years". He's reflective on this album, new focus, the thirties here and along with it comes new challenges, new learning experiences, and more obstacles to overcome. One of my favorites is Thirtysomething, in that he states that 30 is the new 20. Guess who's got a new anthem in two years? :o) Anywho, glad to see S.H.E. grows with me and hopefully those who continue to make quality in the game allow themselves to age and make music for their generation. These kids today will always have something for us old heads to criticize, but I want to be sure that my heroes stick around......Happy thanksgiving....Peace and blessings....