Sunday, December 31, 2006

2006 in review (In rotation: Nothing even matters, Lauryn Hill and D'Angelo)

Hey all, hope this finds you well on this NYE night. I wanted to get some thoughts down in my blog for the end of the year that have been swirling in my head all day. I guess we all wax nostalgic and pensive at the end of a year.
We lost a great deal of people this year, maybe more maybe less, who knows, but some important ones: Coretta Scott King, Gerald Ford, James Brown, Ed Bradley, Gerald Levert, Aaron Spelling, Steve Irwin, Buck O'Neil, Red Auerbach, Jack Palance, Bo Shembechler, Proof, J Dilla, and many others. May they rest in peace. It's funny, but I wonder at the same time as we lose these people and so many others, who is came into the world this year, who will change society as we know it. Time will tell I guess.

It was a year that we saw a shift of power in Washington, a vice president shoot another man and get away with it, Crash win Best Picture and 3 six Mafia became the first group to win an Oscar (never woulda saw that comin') for best song, Israel went to war with Lebanon, execution of Sadaam, poor showing in the World Cup for the U.S., an Amish school shooting, the US population reaching 300 million, PS3, XBox, and Wii madness, and a continuation of a war in Iraq. It was a busy year to say the least and God only knows what this all means. As I've been apt to say lately: this will all make sense some day.

On the hip hop scene, it was a good year surprisingly. For all the wackness perpetuated by all they Yung and Lil' whatevers out there, we also saw a year that dropped Nas' Hip Hop is Dead, Jay-Z's Kingdom Come, The Roots' Game Theory, Lupe Fiasco, Busta Rhymes, Ghostface, and Rhymefest. S.H.E. 's slowly but surely being resurrected and I'm holding on to hope.

Things accomplished: Well, I'm proud to say, I finally finished the Word this year in its entirety and brings me to the realization that there is so much to learn about the Father that a thousand lifetimes couldn't scratch His surface but it's worth every moment to see His love and power.
I stayed consistent with working out and eating right for the longest in my life. I had some tough times and good times this year as well. I learned early this year that I made the right decision even though the idea of facing the world on my own was daunting. I learned not to cast my pearls before swine and "never trust a big butt and a smile" as BBD put so eloquently. I was reminded countless times that He has a plan for me that includes countless blessings and miracles. I realized that I love what I do and I'm blessed to be smart enough to do it. I'm happy to have all the fam on the East Coast now and that I don't wanna live anywhere else, all my fam and friends are here and I'm very happy about that.

Goals for the new year: I want to be more of Him, less of me to start. I want to be more patient and wait for the moment to move and realize that it's all taken care of already. I hope relationships and friendships started this year continue to grow stronger and closer next. I want to get a job and get settled and get closer to being debt free and having a house. Most of all, I want to be a blessing to all that are in my life and cross my path. With that, I wrap up it up with peace and blessings to you and yours in the new year and may it be the best yet for all of you.....One.......