Friday, October 06, 2006

Miss or Mrs. Emcee

What's up people? Well, personal issues goin' on in the background so all that know how to pray, please do so. As always I stay thinking, so I decided the next entry will be on a recent mound of mind clay: the lady emcee. A newly made freind inspired the thought, her passion being the art of lyricism. Unfortunately, I take a look out there in the game and I see a lack of stellar female emcees out there. I feel disturbed at honestly admitting the only one on top of her game is Lil Kim. Maybe it's a reverse effect, the worse your personal life gets, the better your music gets. The last album was.....whew, this is tough to admit, but really good. Was it on the order of Black Reign by the all time queen of hip hop, Dana Owens, or you may know her as Queen Latifah? Not at all, but I have to give credit where credit is due. Thoughts switch to the Queen and as much as it shows my age, I'm going to say the jazz album she dropped was phat. (Yes, I know, I'm a 50 year old in a 27 year old body, I've accepted it and am comfortable with it.) But even hearing the Queen sing Lush Life, a part of me realizes that I'm aging slowly. The ultimate female royalty of hip hop in my day (even saying that phrase makes me reach for the Geritol) is now singing lounge music and as Q-Tip and Busta asked who can old the torch? No one on the female side in the industry now, but she's out there. Some unsung, 150 bars per minute kind of sista coming with lyrical genius. Where are you, my dear, hurry up and get here.......Peace.....