Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Generation X vs. Generation Y

What is up, GMG fans? Hope this blog finds you well. What's been rolling around in my mind? Hmmm, my generation. Why has this come up? Well it rolled in sometime ago at a time when I was trying to determine the difference between those who love Mary J.'s "My Life" album or even "What's the 411" and those who love "Share My World". Being the science nerd that I am (thank God for good genes so I can hide it somewhat) I started to see a difference in those who chose between the three albums, mainly age. So, I thought hmm, it's my generation that loves the "My Life" then I thought, what is my generation? So I checked the WWW and found that my gen. is the Gen. X. For those who don't know, that's those born between 1961 and 1981. What's the genius label for those born from '82-03? Why Gen. Y of course. Gen x'ers are the "latchkey generation" which is so true, many of us came home to empty houses, the first generation to do so so we're "skeptical and non-committal" when it comes to jobs. Hmm, I've had many jobs, one career and starting a new one....maybe non-comittal? However, we were the first with home video games and PC's so that means we're technologically savvy. Might I add to there description that we invented hip hop, the most bestest (yes English whizzes, I know that's not no good grammar) invention in the past thirty years. We grew up on Facts of Life, Cosby Show, Gimme a Break, Who's the Boss, Three's Company, Good Times, What's happenin' now, Family Ties, need I go on? We saw the Berlin wall fall, end of communism, The Americans beat the Russians in the best upset in sports history, not just hockey history. We're responsible for the internet boom ( so it didn't last, at least it started), breakdancing, new wave, grunge, yuppies (well, actually they were bad), gangsta rap, and some of the best cartoons of all time. Need I say more why we're the greatest generation of all time.

Now to Gen Y, hmmm, what have you done..... you've kind of had everything handed to you, in all honesty, I haven't seen any innovation in music from your group, more of the return to crappy pop (thank you N'Sync, Brittany Spears and Destiny's Child) and I haven't seen anything really that your gen can claim. I'm not a gen warrior or tryin' to come down on the Y'ers, I mean my sister is one, many of my favorite students, and the love of my life are all Y'ers. So, I hold out, but I find it disturbing the lack of knowledge that their generation contains, old school to them is the early 90's. Why is there a general lack of knowledge by today's rappers about the early cats, the ones who laid the foundation. Why do they know nothing that happened in the 80's, it was only 20 years ago for God sakes! I guess, this comes down to me sounding a tad preachy, but Generation Y, to make your mark, know what's already been done so that you can do something that's never been done before, make yourself memorable...... peace and love.......