Tuesday, November 04, 2008

so history is made...now what?

Wassup people? Hope this finds you well. I'm writing on the night that history has been made, we now have a president of African descent in office. Political policy aside, it is very significant. A lot of people have been saying that they are surprised? I can't say that I was, I think it was set up for it to happen. We had a horrible economy, a war we shouldn't have been in, and  a government that favored the agenda of the USSR at times. But what does it mean?


I think it means that we now have many other hurdles to jump. Honestly, I think many folks have this idea in mind that we've reached the promised land and tomorrow all will be milk and honey. Really, now it is a matter of responsibility. We're now responsible for taking the lead in realizing that minorities and those from low socioeconomic status can reach higher goals. Now, there is no one to blame or to allow to hold us back. Now, we can't allow ourselves to be portrayed ignorantly on television or look in the mail for a reparations check. Now is not the time to look to the government to solve all the problems (best believe we'll have new ones, big government always does that) but to look at ourselves and to the Father to seek out a way to make our lives worth living. 

Will this happen? I doubt it. Tomorrow, next month, a year from now, there will be still those wrapped up on their own world, blaming others, helping no one and hoping to get a quick fix and an easy life. Corruption will still take place, there will be still a generation of children being sacrificed for the almighty dollar, and we're still heading toward becoming a hedonist society bent on satisfying our own needs and expecting the government to protect our rights and yet remove them by deciding what's best for us and our money. 

Do I hope for change? Of course, but not by the hands of government but by my own in the people around me and those I influence in the future. I do hope that this historic moment will inspire little black boys and girls to realize that no one can hold you back from anything if you believe God can make it happen. Whether conservative, liberal or moderate, I hope that children will take note in that there is nothing to hold you back in this country but yourself and I hope it inspires them to stand up for whatever they believe in.  I hope that all children watching history being made and all those I hope to influence one day take note of that. I hope we can now as black people realize there is no longer any reason to act up or be ignorant, but to represent ourselves with class and dignity. I hope to not see anyone booty dancing on TV for Obama or pouring out liquor for they homies for those who can't see this. Remember, we gotta do better. All eyes are on us now. 

I do say that I pray that there won't be a backlash. Yes this country has  come a long way, but we still have a long way to go. There are still those who will see this as the beginning of some alleged race war and escalate racial hatred to another level. 

There is still a lot to do and now is not the time to rest on laurels but to work that much harder to make the dream a reality. 

I pray for the country as always, no matter who's in office. May God's will be done regardless. Peace.....I'm out....

S.O.T.P.: Waiting on the world to change by John Mayer