Thursday, August 14, 2008

Soundtrack of Life Vol. 1

Wassup people? Hope you're wrapping up your summer well. I'm trying to enjoy my last few days of freedom before it's back to waking up to the alarm and commuting to campus. My time has not been all lounging and relaxing, however, since I felt the urge to finally complete my soundtrack of life (thanks to my sister for the wonderful idea).  The selection process was really the hinderance in this process because there were several rules that I mulled over in my mind as to what should be applied. Finally, I just decided one thing: what made you feel that warm tingly feeling in my core, what songs gave me a sick feeling every time I hear it stemming from some deep seeded melancholy related to the song; not necessarily related to someone but just from the feelings it made me experience just hearing such sorrow or joy rarely captured in music. The songs are autobiographical in nature, recalling to mind times in my life of contemplating the future or abstract concepts such as love, pain, meaning of life, God, etc. I chose the number from a standard album including a bonus track.  Now without further adieu, I give you my soundtrack...

1) "My cherie amour" (from the album "My Cherie Amour") by Stevie Wonder: 

What an amazing song and it brings to mind my early exposure to Stevie and how he helped me fall in love with music and with love. My parents would play his music every Saturday and on road trips for as long as I can remember. From those early moments listening to lyrics of wistful hope, passion, love, justice, new life and joy, I knew then that I wanted to write and I wanted to write like Stevie, one of the most influential artists in music history. This song in particular had me wondering what it would be like to be in love and as I got older, helped to embrace the strange satisfaction of unrequited love. I can say even now, knocking on 30, this song still reminds me of love's purity and the fulfillment of what you've desired for so long. They don't write 'em like this anymore.

2) Lady Blue (from Weekend in L.A.) by George Benson: 

George was played to me since I was in the womb and since then his music has always led me to thank God for music.  Lady Blue was always my favorite and it always gave me the sense of the blues that I relished. It's a wonderful rainy Saturday afternoon song that speaks to those who just love good live music and wonderful writing and makes one appreciate those by their side. 

3) Seems So Long (from Music of my mind) by Stevie: 

Since he's my favorite artist, he's the only one with a double appearance. An amazing song that makes me think not only of my childhood and listening to this song, but being grown and finally realizing what it meant. Those who know me know I went through some tough lessons in love and it really did seem like forever until my queen came. Now this song speaks so much more to me than during all that time waiting and wondering. A must listen.

4) NY State of Mind (from Turnstiles) by Billy Joel:

I know, most wouldn't expect this one, they probably think of the one by Nas (which I love too) but this song is special. Being my father's son, I grew up on C.C.R., the Doobie brothers, Paul Simon, Elton John, 3 dog night, Jim Croce and many others including Billy and it gave me such a wide appreciation for all forms of music, literally. In the 80's it seems all movies were set in NY (and that really hasn't changed) and it gave me a romantic vision of what NY must be like. Since I lived in CT for 3 years, I got several chances to go down to the city and I can still say, there are many things to love there. This song helps me recall all those wonderful memories of Greenwich village, Central Park, Brooklyn brownstones, Grand Central Terminal, Metro Museum of Art and all NYC's glory. Good times, great oldies....

5) A song for you by Donny Hathaway: 

This one has been sung by many, but none sang it like Donny. He sang it so well, many thought it was his own, but it was actually written and performed by Leon Russell. Not much to say to this, but it will give you a heavy heart just because it makes you realize that are so many songs that have been and will be written and very few will ever reach the emotion of this song. I can hear this a million times for the rest of my life and every time, I'll have to fight tears. It's simply beautiful and......it's just beautiful and even that word fails to capture it's character.

6) I'm on my way ( from So Much 2 Say) by Take 6: 

A little known song but one of my early favorite groups and favorite songs. This song wrapped up for me at an early age that my life was going to dedicated to finding and doing God's will for my life and representing His Son on earth as best I can and nothing and no one would keep me from that. I've fallen many times but have He's always picked me back up and put me back on solid ground and guided me with my hand in His. This song expresses that perfectly. 

7) One last cry (from self-titled album) by Brian Mcknight:

Wow, this song....this song... this one is what has me buy every album Brian drops on the day it comes out. It's a song that a close college friend used to eloquent say that it makes you "want to crap twice and die" and that's a good thing. It does give you just a deep pain in your gut because it truly is a beautiful expression of what it's like to lose someone you love. Funny thing is, I've never lost anyone that close in terms of family (praise be to God) and no one that isn't here now has meant this much to me in the romance department, but when I hear it, you just feel blessed that sorrow exists because it makes you appreciate joy that much more. A wonderful, wonderful, wonderful song.

8) Soon as I get home (from Faith) by Faith Evans: 

Mmm, mmm, mmm. This song I could play twenty times a day since the day I first heard it (back in high school) and it still feels like the first time. It's the song that captures romance and a deep seated love that needs to be expressed as soon as reunion happens. I always imagined my queen playing this for me after a fight and just knowing that whatever it was about, it's not as important as she is. And it works on so many levels; it's romantic, timeless, and you can still make babies to it. :o) It will be in regular rotation for the rest of my life.

9) They Reminisce over you (T.R.O.Y.) (from Mecca and the Soul Brother) by Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth:

A hip hop classic from one of the top five DJ's of all time. T.R.O.Y. was written by C.L. after the death of his boy T. Roy, one of Heavy D's boyz, and if you ever get a chance read what it says on Wiki about how he describes his inspiration for this song, it brings a tear to the eye. For me it reminds me of my early affair with hip hop and just good music and good times. It's a song that can be put on at any party and everybody will get up and start moving and think back on all the good times. The bass line, the sample, the lyrics; the recipe for hip hop that stands the test of time. 

10) Stop this Train (from Continuum) by John Mayer:

One of my top five favorite artists, John captures adept guitar skills with wonderful lyrics and has influenced a lot my own writing. This song in particular, the first time I heard it, I thought it was so depressing.... and I loved it. It conveys that fear of growing up and the doubt that sometimes comes with it, how we at times we can feel that everything is flying so fast and you just want to hold on to what you have before it goes. "So scared of getting older, I'm only good at being young". So many can relate, it's why we say 30's the new 20, but it's not really, it's still 30. John reminds us that you got to embrace it because it's inevitable and it ain't so bad, better yet, it's a blessing. 

11) I Used to Love H.E.R. (from Resurrection) by Common: 

What can I say? This song sums up perfectly my love affair with hip hop. It's my favorite hip hop song because it's a genius concept: anthropomorphism of hip hop. I've written several earlier posts on this subject so I won't go into it now. Just love H.E.R. and I always will.....

12) I Remember You by Nat King Cole: 

Simply breathtaking, a timeless song that captures eternal love that spans dimensions. This is recent listen since I only heard it early this year but at the moment I heard it, I knew it would be played at my wedding and anniversaries because it declares a passion that knows no time. For those who will be at my wedding, expect this one and bring a tissue, you'll need it. 


Bonus Track)  Bein' Green by Kermit the Frog: 

I'm going to catch flack from TQ and others for this one, but it brings to remembrance my childhood, but I'll tell you this, even if you're grown, it makes you appreciate exactly how God made you and it was for a purpose. No matter our age, we have to be reminded that we are special and mean something in this world. My sister told me that they played this at Jim Henson's funeral... I can't believe there was a dry eye in the house after that. 


I'm out...hope you enjoyed and make some memories this last bit of summer....PEACE!