Friday, June 20, 2008

nothing like family....

People, I have never been so tired and so content at the same time. After a bit of a short night of sleep (which is happening quite frequently, let's just say as the days go by, I crave Houston :o) ) I was able to get up and play some ball which just gets me in the right frame of mind, releasing endorphines and the like. Then, I was finally able to hit the links for 18 holes of golf this afternoon. I had a decent game, got my first par hole on the 8th ever. I'm getting better, but my putting game needs work. As they say, "drive for show, putt for dough".
So the title of the piece refers to my sister. She's one of the few who I know can rival my depth of thought and I know that although she's not saying much, she's got wisdom stewing inside that mind that up until recently, I had not known the extent of. Her blog I had recently began reading and she's got that witty thing down pat. Many of her posts have inspired me with new ideas for future ramblings in my own. I was just talking about how for so long and even now and then today, I still see her as that little three year old girl with cheeks to hide a years worth of gumballs and her toothy smile and pretty brown eyes rockin' a snazzy cosby sweater and corduroys. Now she's a young lady with dreams, thoughts, sarcasm, empathy, and discernment. For all those with older siblings, I tell you the truth, we'll always see you as that little kid, just with all this well rounded depth. Shout out to you Steph, :o) and hope I didn't blow up your spot too much.

I have to pass on some wise words passed to me. I paraphrase as I say this and add my own spin on it ,but it's wonderful truth nonetheless. I think we throw the word love around way to casually these days, which is evident by the fact that we mention every time we talk about shoes, a TV show, a song, a plate of chicken or flavor of instant pudding. The real thing, however, is so far beyond a passing fancy or an chemical response. It's built by getting to know a person, desiring to know how their day went, the patience of wanting to jump right into the physical, the realization that you're not the same but you complement each other, it works through problems with the right person and doesn't run from the adversity, it's being devoted to someone to the point you'd give your life for them without hesitating, it's giving your life daily for them as you put their needs above your own, it's not jealous but secure in what it's built. Love doesn't lie, it doesn't say "what about me", but it does recognize itself. If you don't see these things, maybe love isn't there and you got to wait for it. It's a great guideline to make sure what you're building with someone is real or just temporary. I'm finally realizing this and it's only taken me almost 30 years, better than late than never. Well, it's on time, it really is. :o)

In honor of the two topics, it's a two for one special on the S.o.T.P. First, "Isn't she lovely" by the personification of music, Stevie Wonder to my sister and the second, "This time it's love" by Tamia because I think we all hope for that. Your time is coming, best believe. With that, I'm out. Be blessed and enjoy the weekend.....


Ok, I can't leave without another one, you know this :o)

Pen to pad
pressed and ink flows
with poetry and symphonies
from what used to be silence
try this, sitting in the dark
and a light turns on
I grew fond of the idea
of answering to you
taking a chance with you
seeing if a love affair with you
could grow from a crush
built on the notion
that I could fill your heart
not tear down the walls
just make a door to start
part my way through the apprehension
and the tension, just cool relax
and then it happened
circumstances beyond my control
it was my breath you stole
and then my heart
and now I lay down my life
and my being, seeing
you are the lock to my key
that opened a world
that was only meant for Saturday
matinees, not reality
in this cynical world
but like a flower, you were unfurled
and now I believe
in weak knees and poetry
and daydreams of marriage things
and longing of you next to me......