Wednesday, June 18, 2008

the list....

Wassup subscribers? What can I say, life is good. I should be getting my stimulus check this week, thanks Georgie, now you can leave office. I wasn't able to go golfing today as planned, so it was moved to Friday. I've found out my first round of qualifiers is a go in September so I'll be setting up a schedule this weekend to study for those. Day by day, I get more excited to get to Houston, which I'm considering the highlight of a fun and productive summer. Plans for the 4th are tentative, but I think they'll involve a group of friends watching fireworks at the beach. Ahh, those are the times I wish I wasn't single. :o) I'm thinking it should be fun. What can I say more than I'm just blessed and for this summer, I'm realizing it and enjoying every moment in every sense.

I used to say that life would be great if it wasn't for people....well, I retract that statement (possible sign of growth?). When you start to see people they way the Father does, you start to realize that we're all at different points in our life and we do funny things to ourselves. I'm really at this point in life coming to the realization of each moment is a blessing whether working or not. People in your life are sometimes there for a season and others for a lifetime and I just am trying to learn from them and being there to give them whatever He would have me give. I don't know if something just clicked now or what, but it's like right before 30 I've realized two things:

1) I know so little about what life has in store and there is so much to learn

2) I can't wait to learn it

Now to the title of this piece...

A close friend of mine gave me the idea of putting together a list of what I'm looking for in a woman and after all this time, I realized I've never done it. So I've set myself to accomplish this task. Now, I'm not going to put all the attributes here especially since as all my female friends have told me I'm very picky (no argument there) but I will point out the highlights.
1) She's got to have the Father's love shine through her so bright that people notice by just walking by her. A caring soul that just gives all of herself and is working on improving her walk with Him and her relationships with everyone around her. Always seeking to better herself.
2) A beautiful woman that carries herself well, intelligent, sophisticated but not pretentious, she doesn't curse or disparage other people (none of that "b**** get on my level" nonsense), she just commands respect when she walks in a room.
3) She's well read, can talk about politics, religion, music, history, art, love, human nature and a myriad of subjects. Not that she has to know everything but knows a lil somethin'.
4) All past baggage has been dealt with from former relationships whether romantic or family. Also, ideally both her parents are still together and she has a good relationship with her father. In all my dealings, I've realized any other way has not been able to work for me. Father issues must be resolved in order to have a healthy relationship with a man.
5) A woman who's willing to make her family her priority just as I will. A partnership that involves different responsibilities but equal importance. I know I may make some ladies mad but it's personal choice, but ideally a woman who is willing to make being with the children priority. I understand circumstances don't always allow for that, but if they do then that would be my desire.
6) She's gotta love music.... I mean good music and a variety. I'm always reminded of "I think I love my wife" and the girl that Chris Rock is messing around with says he has N**** ears. I can't have that. Yes, hop hop and soul are my first loves, but there is so much good music not made by black artists, I can't ignore it. A big red flag for me is someone who's idea of music is loving everything on the radio, who thinks the "Now that's what I call music" series is great, or who goes and buys everything that wins a Grammy (worst music awards show ever, next to the source awards).
7) She's willing to build with me and be faithful to me as I to her and to go about building a family legacy; not so much in terms of wealth but influence in changing the world through our children, grandchildren and so on.

There are many more, but that scratches the surface. This list has always been there, but I'm finally setting about to writing it out. To get to this point, I had to go through so many relationships and dating experiences and walk away from those who were almost perfect but not for me. No easy task and there has definitely been pain along the way, but I had to realize I was taking someone else's blessing by settling. So the list has helped me give an idea of how I'll know her when He sends her.

On that note, the S.o.T.P., a classic, "slowly surely" by Jill Scott. A soulful classic from a classic album chronicling the search for true love. Enjoy and I'll holla at you all later. Peace and blessings.......

Oh, also wanted to post some old verses, I'm finally getting inspiration to write anew after a year and some change, so this is to commemorate a new chapter.

Incredible, intangible,
delectable, your soul has pull,
to bring me into your world,
a woman, and yet a girl
with dreams, aspirations
no small temptation
to fall fast for you
the soul of a queen
in a modern casing
not basing
my attraction on the physical
although I can not lie it is appealing
but you're revealing
so much more than a pretty smile
with style and grace
I need to chase
this butterfly
and those inside
I feel when I hear your voice
and ending I can not find
for this rhyme or reason
for seasons I could write
about all that's in my head
but time will tell
the spell you have cast on me
and release all inside my mind